Sunday, January 17, 2016

Known. Consecrated. Called. - Devotional - January 17, 2016


"I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb. Before you were born, I set you apart and appointed you as my prophet to the nations."  - Jeremiah 1:5

I sat on the floor smiling as I looked around the soon-to-be nursery. The books waiting to be read. The clothes waiting to be worn. The crib waiting to be slept in.  The toys waiting to be played with.

What will Isaac's laugh sound like?

I close my eyes and let my fingers trace the carpet.  The same carpet that will cushion Isaac’s little hands and knees as he crawls to and fro in exploration.

Will he have my insatiable sense of curiosity? Or his daddy’s adorable sense of wonder and awe at new things?


A gentle roll from within pulls me back from my visions and wonderings.  I rub my belly and reflect back on the scripture I read earlier in the morning. 

"I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb. Before you were born, I set you apart and appointed you as my prophet to the nations."  - Jeremiah 1:5

I lean over slightly and whisper gently to the little life growing within me….

“Isaac, you are known. You are consecrated.  You are called.”

Before I realize it, I’m repeating the words over and over, as if each declaration sinks that truth a little deeper into his forming ears drums.  

I may have dreams and visions for my son, but the reality is I’m not starting from scratch. God has already uniquely designed Isaac. 

But here’s the amazing part – that truth applies to all of us.  We are known, consecrated, and called.

You are KNOWN by God
God knows YOU.  Not just in the global sense of knowing all mankind.  We’re talking about an intimate knowledge of who you are specifically.  A knowledge that assures us, “I know you by name” (Exodus 33:12). How? Because you are His design.  It is a knowledge that can only be possessed by the Creator himself.  And since He created you, you are no surprise to God.  He knows your temperament. Your physical abilities. Your strengths. Your weaknesses.  And not only are you not a surprise, you are not a mistake.  The things you see within you as flaws, He carefully crafted into who you are for a reason.  And if God approved your design, who are you to question it?

You are CONSECRATED by God.
Consecrated can be a big and intimidating word.  But all it means is that you were set apart for something special  - separated.  When you are set apart, you are not common, you are a “vessel for honorable use” (Romans 9:21).  So, you cannot behave, react, speak, or live like everyone else – you are not designed to.  What is your design?  You were hardwired to be “ love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control” (Galatians 5:22-23).  And nobody can override that design, but you.

You are CALLED  by God.
You are truly a piece of work!  That’s not an insult, by the way – it’s a promise. 

“For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared in advance as our way of life.” – Ephesians 2:10

Other translations call you a masterpiece, or His handiwork.  But what is implied in all those descriptions is a purposed creation – an intentionally crafted work for a unique purpose.  There’s nothing mysterious about your “calling”  -- it’s what you were designed to do.  You are HERE for a reason.  God stood back from all His work and decided the world needed your contribution.  That’s either exciting or terrifying for you – fears and insecurities can call us to shrink back from this truth. But the truth remains, you were “fearfully and wonderfully made” (Psalm 139:14).
So our job in life is not to manufacture our importance.  Your job is to live according to your design.  Not according to what family you grew up in. Not according to your past. Not according to your present.  Walk in your truth and let God’s marvelous work shine

And, I hope this reminder stirs something in you today, as strongly as my son stirring within me as I close….

You are KNOWN. You are CONSECRATED.  You are CALLED.


Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment