Sunday, April 13, 2014

Making Room for the King - Lenten Journey Day 34 Devotional - April 12, 2014




Rejoice, O people of Zion! Shout in triumph, O people of Jerusalem! Look, your king is coming to you. He is righteous and victorious, yet he is humble, riding on a donkey--riding on a donkey's colt. - Zechariah 9:9

Today our Palm Sunday service began with a presentation by our children’s ministry.  As they recited their parts, a parade of palms and children began down the main aisle.  A little one, dressed as Jesus, rode a donkey (which was an adult dressed in a donkey costume walking on his hands and knees).  The congregation chuckled at the sight.  The beautiful humor of this pint-sized procession made me smile. 
However, I couldn’t help but think about what people must have thought when they saw Jesus.  The Jews were expecting a savior, yes.  However, they were expecting a king that would come in and use his might and power to overthrow the powers of oppression.  When they read prophesies, their minds painted a picture of who Christ would be.  I’m sure no none envisioned what they got.  Instead of domination, they got humility; instead of might, they got mercy.  Instead of a knight in shining armor on a white horse, they got a carpenter’s son on a donkey.

I’m sure this is not what victory looked like to them.

Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and we can say without a doubt that the form that Christ took while here on earth was not only successful, but intentional and meant to set an example of love, humility, brokenness, righteousness, and victory for us.  In hindsight, we can confirm the victory that manifested out of this unexpected king accomplished a purpose far beyond what the Jews anticipated.  But, I can relate to the Jews.  There are still times when Christ is molding my circumstances a certain way and it’s not the way I expected Him to design it.  I have to remind myself that His design is perfect and I need to allow Him to show up the way He should and not the way I WANT.

As I reflect on Palm Sunday, and the faithfulness in the arrival of our King, I am continually challenging myself to make room for His arrival into my circumstances in any way, shape, or form that He sees fit.
Making room for the King not only requires us to make space in our heart, but release our preconceived notions and control over the conditions of His arrival.

Open your heart and your mouth with praise.  Shout Hosanna! The Savior is making His presence known.  Don’t put Him in a box.  Put Him on the throne in your life and make room for Christ to be more than you have ever imagined.

Can you make room?
Can you make room for the miraculous?
Can you make room for breakthroughs?
Can you make room for the freedom and liberty that comes to those who the Son has set free!?
Can you make room for the King?
Because He is coming


Let’s pray:  Father God, with a heart of praise and thanksgiving we shout “blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.” As we complete this Lent season, and focus our hearts and minds on this season.  I ask you to help me create the space to receive you completely and allow You to operate in my life the way you see fit.  I will stop dictating how you should show up and instead allow you to have your way.  Great is your faithfulness, Lord.  And, today we celebrate You, adore You, and give You all the honor and praise due to Your name.  In Jesus name. Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment