Saturday, April 12, 2014

Holy Week Homework - Lenten Journey Day 33 Devotional - April 11, 2014



Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, 'Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?' And I said, 'Here am I. Send me!" - Isaiah 6:8

First, my prayers go out to the families of the high school students and victims of the bus crash yesterday morning in Northern California.  Life on this earth is so fleeting and fragile.  Please keep them lifted in prayers.

Today is the last Friday before Good Friday.

As we enter into Holy Week I feel a stillness in my spirit.  Another “Selah” moment of pause and reflection. 

As we enter Holy Week, I feel a sense of reverence.  An overwhelming and tearful gratitude bubbling up in my stomach as the day of His sacrifice approaches. 

As we enter Holy Week, I feel a sense of urgency to bring others along.

When driving around this week, my friend pointed out the abundance of signs for Easter Services. 

There is a unique spirit of openness and awareness around this time of the time of year. 

Consumerism and marketing has a way of distracting the world from Christmas in many ways, but there is an unmistakable presence around the season set aside to reflect on the crucifixion, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.  At Christmas we celebrate a baby in a manger, but at Easter we kneel before a risen Savior. At Christmas the world feeds on the festivities and fun, but as we drove past those signs I heard a growling in the spiritual stomachs of many.  Hunger pains.  A need for the Bread of Life.

Will you let them starve or invite them to the table?

“The harvest is great, but the workers are few.” – Matthew 9:37

As we enter Holy Week, make it your commitment to invite at least five people to service for Easter.  Don’t just say it.  Write down specific names and do it.

This whole season has been about obedience, dying of self, letting our light shine, and loving others….this is where we get to live that love out loud. 

We do not always get a “next year” to invite.  No one is too young to deserve an invitation.  No one is too old.  Some may say yes, some may say no.  But invite.  His sacrifice and our victory are a story worth sharing, don’t you think? 


Let’s pray: Father God, use me this week in a special way.  Send me!  We just saw from the tragedies this week that life is so fragile and tomorrow is not promised.  Give me the boldness to extend a simple invitation to those around me to celebrate Easter.  I come against any spirits of fear or anxiety or self-doubt.  Lord all I am going to do is invite and then the rest is up to You and them.  You prepare their hearts for the invitation.  You prepare the words that will be spoken.  You draw them in and bring light to Your truths.  Thank you for the lives that will be changed and transformed as I trust and rely on You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment