Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Miracle Mile - Devotional - July 16, 2014


Some time later the brook dried up because there had been no rain in the land. Then the word of the Lord came to him: “Go at once to Zarephath in the region of Sidon and stay there. I have directed a widow there to provide for you.” 1 Kings 17:8-9

Tick.Tock.Tick.Tock.

The clock against the wall seems louder than usual as I sit anticipating the phone to ring.  My body shifts anxiously in my seat as I wring my hands. 

“This is silly,” I whisper to myself.

I let out a long sigh as I slowly release my hands into a posture of prayer and slide off the sofa onto my knees.   

I bow my head and close my eyes.

“Godgreat is Your faithfulness.  Even now.  This road has not been an easy one, but I know it’s been necessary.  I see Your glory in each step.   You have never left me.  So, with open hands I receive this journey and I turn over the outcome of this call to You.  Let your glory fill this room.”

A peace brushes over me like a breeze and I return to my seat.  I smile and begin to hum a little song of worship…

God is able....God is able….”

Before I know it, I drift off to sleep and awaken to the phone ringing.

“I have some great news for you….we would like to offer you the job,” he says.  

I close my eyes and reflect on the last several months of struggle, loss, uncertainty, but more importantly, hope.  I smile as a page is turned, from pain to promise.

Quite a journey indeed.

When God tells Elijah to go through Zarephath in 1 Kings 17, it is a true test of his faith.  The land represented enemy territory for him, so God was intentionally sending him through the “lion’s den”.  Now, there are plenty of cities that Elijah could’ve gone through that would have been more amenable to the prophet.  But, that’s not where God sends him.  Time after time, God directs Elijah on paths that would seem ridiculous, and at times dangerous, to the rational mind.  Yet, a study of Elijah’s life shows that these very paths led to the most supernatural works performed by God in the Bible.

What does this teach us?

The journey to the incredible always travels through the uncomfortable.

When I lost my job six months ago, the ground beneath me was ripped away.  My accomplishments, my provision, my identity, were gone in an instant.  As I stepped out into unknown territory, my choices were the same as Elijah’s – fear or faith?  My response to God was the same as Peter’s “command me to meet you on the water.” 

And meet Him, I did. 

The road has been rough.  I have gone through a shedding that has left me with nothing but a full reliance on God.  But as I reflect on the last several months, I can see His tangible hand guiding me through the desert.  I can see where He has brought justice on my behalf.  Just as he placed the widow in Elijah’s path, I can see where He has sent people into my life.  

It is a journey that is nothing short of the miraculous.
It is a journey that only God could design. 

So as I reflect on the last several months, I can count every bit of loss a gain.  No matter the sacrifice, in Christ we win!

This is the journey to the incredible.

Do you want God to show up in incredible ways?

Be ready for some serious discomfort!

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways.” -Isaiah 55:8

God’s INCREDIBLE takes HIS supernatural power to accomplish.  We’re just along for the ride.  Our job is not to try to steer, but to obey. 

Obedience is our battle cry against fear!  It says, “in Christ, I have the victory!”

God’s INCREDIBLE can look like defeat from the outside, so we have to hold on to what we know on the inside.

What do we know?

That He will never leave us, nor forsake us. (Deuteronomy  31:6)
All things work together for the good. (Romans 8:28)
His word will accomplish all that He desires and achieve His purpose. (Isaiah 55:11)
Great is His faithfulness! (Lamentations 3:23)

So when you’re going through the desert, keep your eyes on God, not your circumstances.  
He will see you through.

Trust me, I know He will. 

My journey has been uncomfortable, but as I sit here writing to you I am basking in God’s incredible with a peace and joy that only His miraculous can give.  

I hope you join me.

Let’s pray:  God, if I focus on my circumstances, I am often filled with anxiety and overwhelm.  I am tempted to fix things in my own way rather than trust in You.  When I am in the midst of uncertainty, give me the strength to walk the path that leads to Your promise.  Let me choose Your glory over my comfort.  Your word assures me in Jeremiah 29:11 that You know the plans You have for me, and they are plans to prosper me, not harm me.  So, I choose to rest in Your plans for my life knowing that your supernatural, miracle-working hands are in control.  In Jesus name.  AMEN!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment