Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Come on, David - Devotional - May 28, 2014


David replied to the Philistine, “You come to me with sword, spear, and javelin, but I come to you in the name of the LORD… This is the LORD’s battle, and he will give you to us!” – 1 Samuel 17:45, 47
I sometimes wonder what it must have been like for young David.

Standing there. 

Facing Goliath, a giant, and his army – all out for his life and the lives of his people.

Scripture tells us that Goliath was over nine feet tall (1 Sam 17:4).  His armor alone weighed 125 pounds!

Now, the Bible doesn’t tell us how big David was, but the response of those around him tells us the odds were against him. 
Don’t be ridiculous!..You’re only a boy…  - 1 Samuel 17:33

What was it like for David?

As I face my own giants, I think about him….

Was David afraid? No.

Why not?  How did he do it?

At 15 years old, David knew who he was.  Just a few verses before his confrontation with Goliath, he receives a visit from the prophet Samuel, who anoints him as the future king of Israel.  In that moment “the Spirit of the LORD came powerfully upon David” (1 Samuel 16:13). 

As David stood out on that battlefield, he knew he wasn’t alone.  He had God on his side.

But you know what?  So do we.

The same God that gave David the victory that day, is the same one we know as Father.  He lives in YOU.

As we face our own giants, it’s easy to forget this.  Fear does that.

Our giants can seem so big sometimes, huh?

Financial worries.  Relationship problems. Health challenges.  Life changes.

There are many intimidating foes that life confronts us with. 
 
But that’s when I remember…

We don’t have to be afraid.
We don’t have to throw in the towel.
Even when the odds are against us.
Even when others say we can’t.

We can remember who we are.
We can call upon the “David” inside of us.

Whatever giants you are facing, know that you are destined to defeat them!

Not because of you, but because of HIM.

For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. – Philippians 4:13

Odds are no match for God!

So, stop hiding in the camp.  That's not where your victory is.  

Come on, David. 

Remember who you are.

What battlefield is God calling you to?  

Step out boldly.  Go out and win!


Let’s pray:  God, sometimes I get so caught up in figuring things out my own way.  When I measure myself up, I come up short.  But, I know that I serve an omnipotent God and it is by your strength that I can do all things – not my own strength.  You have not called me to walk in fear.  You have not called me to do it all on my own.  With your power I will conquer every giant.  Your power makes the impossible, possible.  You will make a way out of no way.  And when it’s all said and done You will receive all the glory for the miraculous work being made manifest in my life. In Jesus name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment