Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Red Seas, Graves, and Promises of Victory - The Journey Continues April 9th


I pray you all were blessed as we observed Good Friday and Easter this weekend.  What a powerful weekend!  

As I reflected on Christ's sacrifice and ultimately OUR victory, the weekend began to overwhelm me (in a positive way).  On Friday I took time off and attended Good Friday service.  The presence of the Holy Spirit was so tangible as I walked and and saw wooden crosses laying near the walk away.  As Pastor Kenton preached a wonderful message I couldn't take my eyes off the cross.  As I looked at the nails laying on the dark cloth below the crosses - those nails, my sin.  I couldn't help but feel a depth of gratitude.....it should have been me on that cross.  

At the end of the service Pastor Kenton gave us an opportunity to write our burdens on a small piece of paper and one-by-one we nailed ours to the cross.  With each strike of the hammer I whispered "thank you" to our Lord and Savior.  By the end, the crosses were littered with our papers.  Countless nails.  Countless burdens and sins.....Jesus died for them ALL.  For all of US.  For ME.  In all my years as a believer, this was undoubtedly one of the most humbling moments of my life.

YET we cannot forget that this same love that sent Jesus to the cross is the same powerful LOVE that raised Him from the dead.  His love MAKES us victorious and so as we focus on this Old Testament lesson of the Red Sea during this study we have even more reason to praise!  Whatever Red Sea I am facing I can shout something to it that even the Israelites couldn't proclaim "I can do ALL THINGS through CHRIST who strengthens me" (Phil 4:!3).

Other scriptures: 2 Corinthians 12:9, Ephesians 3:16, Colossians 1:11, 1 Timothy 12:1

The details for the next study are below.  I look forward to seeing you all next Tuesday.  


DETAILS:
 
You only need the book to participate (available at Mariners bookstore or on Amazon where you can read the first chapter), but if you want to get more in-depth, a study guide is also available for journaling and reflection questions at http://www.redsearules.com//
DIVA Sisters Book Study
What: The Red Sea Rules, by Robert Morgan
When: Tuesday, April 9th,  2013 (every other Tuesday), 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: Panera Bread on Bison & McArthur 
** Up to Red Sea Rule #2 should be read prior to the next meeting**
 
Synopsis:
Just as Moses and the Israelites found themselves caught between "the devil and the deep Red Sea," so are we sometimes overwhelmed by life's problems. But God delivered the Israelites, and He will deliver us too.
The Red Sea Rules reveals, even in the midst of seemingly impossible situations, God's promise to make a way for us. His loving guidance will protect us through danger, illness, marital strife, financial problems--whatever challenges Satan places in our path.
 
Using the Israelites' story as an example, Robert Morgan offers ten sound strategies for moving from fear to faith. Among them: Realize that God means for you to be where you are. Acknowledge your enemy, but keep your eyes on the Lord. Pray.
 
Life is hard, especially for Christians. It is certain that we will face difficulties, and that God will allow them, as He allowed the Israelites to become trapped between Pharaoh's rushing armies and the uncrossable Red Sea. But just as certain is the fact that the same God who led us in will lead us out. As The Red Sea Rules makes comfortingly clear, He is in control.

No comments:

Post a Comment