Saturday, April 5, 2014

Did You See the Son Rise Today? - Lenten Journey Day 28 Devotional - April 5, 2014


Outside Chapel Today

"Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the LORD rises upon you” – Isaiah 60:1

 “Welcome, Holy Spirit,” I spoke softly in the stillness of the coming dawn; as if this new day was a secret between God and me.

I uttered Psalm 31:16 gently, “Let your face shine on Your servant; save me in Your unfailing love.”
Today I had high expectations for God and the women of our church.  Today was our Women’s Prayer Experience.  It wasn’t quite dawn yet, but as I breathed in deeply I knew the Son had already arrived.  His presence danced beautifully around my heart and lifted me from my bed.  Stirring peace and anticipation turned into a girlish giddiness. 

“Great is Your faithfulness,” I beamed and hurriedly prepared to go see what God was going to do. 

As we put the final touches on the chapel, I looked at my watch, the time was coming near; yet, the chapel remained empty.  Where was everyone?

I stepped outside and looked around.  Still, barely anyone was there.  I looked up at the thick clouds hiding the sun. 

Had I heard God wrong? Had my invitation gotten lost in the mail?  Should I have added more prayer postage?

“Great is Your faithfulness,” I reminded myself and returned back to the prayer room with the other women leaders for prayer.   As we exited, we were welcomed with a patio now full of women, having fellowship, connecting, loving God and loving one another. 

Each of them, “children of light,” shining like the Son (Ephesians 5:8).

As I basked in their presence, I felt God delighting in the sincere laughter and pleasantries. 

“For the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true” - Ephesians 5:9

The doors opened to begin the Prayer Experience, and the women poured into the chapel. 

God was present. 

I remained outside for a while.  Soaking in the remnants of the lingering love and light, and then turned around to look at the sky.  As if to make His presence more evident, the clouds laid down like angels' wings and revealed a sun like I’d never seen. 

The Son always shines.

Even when clouds try to hide Him.

He shines.

Even when our circumstances try to cloud our faith.

He shines.

And His light, the light I felt in each of the women, is not a weak, flickering, timid light.

It is a light that refuses to be hidden.
It is a light that overcomes darkness.

“For God, who said, ‘Let there be light in the darkness,’ has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ.” -2 Corinthians 4:6

I have high expectation for the Son in us all. 

So sad is a world without Jesus.  There is no darkness like the absence of His Light.  But, as we departed today, each woman in the full blaze of His intense love, equipped to pour out Heaven’s light, I have no doubt that the Son will shine.  That’s what the Son was created to do……

So go out and be a light.

The world needs you to shine.

Go show them the Son.

Can I speak a short blessing over you today?

“The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you
and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you  and give you peace.” - Numbers 6:24-26

Let’s pray: Lord God, Your word says in Matthew 5:14-16, that I am a light to the world.  You have stood me up to have me stand out.  Just like a city on a hill cannot be hidden and a lamp is not meant to be put under a bowl, my light is not meant to hide.  I am meant to shine before all men.  And as I shine, Lord, may those around me see Your good works. May I live a life that causes people to give praise to You, my Father in heaven.  In Jesus name.  Amen.


2 comments:

  1. Julia, you captured my heart with your words. I too looked outside yesterday at a similar moment in time and heard the same worry-thoughts and saw the same dark clouds and wondered if I had missed God's instruction. This was now the second time that morning that I looked at my surroundings and tried to measure it with my own finite reason and lack of faith. "Oh Peter (Sharon), why do you doubt?"
    I love the picture you posted because it depicts what I saw the Spirit doing yesterday--parting the clouds of darkness that were imposing on God's holy daughters. The Son did indeed shine His face upon us yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon-

      I agree. It was a miraculous day. I felt so blessed to capture that moment in a picture. It was as if God was showing me in the natural, what He was doing for us in the spiritual realm. Thank you for leading such a lovely day. God bless you!

      Delete