Monday, April 7, 2014

Did You Make Your Appointment? - Lenten Journey Day 29 Devotional - April 7, 2014



The LORD says, ‘I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you.” – Psalm 32:8

Yesterday I went to the gym to do a little stretching.  While I was there I met a lovely woman who has been experiencing some challenges lately. 

Tell her how worthy she is,” I felt in my spirit.  So I did.  We had a brief, yet beautiful, conversation about womanhood and worth and I left with the contact information of a new friend. 

Afterwards, I ran into the farmers market to grab a few items and as I walked down the aisle a woman approached me.  Ready to move on with the rest of my day, I started to walk away and then felt led to turn back around.  “Do you need help with anything?” I asked.  She smiled and started asking questions about some of the products.  Then, she started sharing about her life.  Before I left, she asked me if we could meet up for lunch soon, she needed a friend.  I agreed and we parted ways. 

This morning during my run, I saw a familiar face from my gym class.  I waved and she came over to say hello.  The meeting was unexpected, but incredibly timely for the both of us.  I have crossed paths with her on multiple occasions, but today was different.  We shared about the ways God is moving in both of our lives, how our struggles have built up a reliance on Him, and of course working out. J  But as we spoke, I reflected on how tangible God was in a moment that seemed so coincidental.  But, there are no coincidences in God’s Kingdom, are there? 

As I finished up and came home, I reflected on the ways in which my life had intersected the lives of these beautiful women in ways that were so unplanned, but unmistakenly intentional. 
Wow God,” I said.  “What a remarkable 24 hours.”

What had caused such encounters to transpire?

But as I reflected on the events, they were very unremarkable to the natural eye.  There were many decisions – choosing to stay quiet while stretching, continuing down the grocery aisle – which would have resulted in those encounters not happening. 
What was different?
Quiet simply, I was looking for them.
Fresh off the high of a spiritually marvelous weekend and a devotional about shining my light, I woke up with intention and purpose.  Got Ray bans?  “This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine!” 

My expectation had removed the blinders – God is everywhere!  When we’re tuned into God, we read the events and circumstances around us differently. 

Or to think of it another way, the daily occurrences of my life are a direct reflection of my view of God and His ability. 

God is Sovereign right? 
He is Holy and over all, correct?
Then why do we put Him in a box (e.g. church or serving others)?

The Words says that, “The LORD directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives.” Psalm 37:23.
Directs. That means intentional, established, and purposefully guided.

Notice that there weren’t any qualifiers about those steps; as in only the steps to church, or serving the needy, or religious activities does He direct. God is speaking to EVERY step. 

So, if He directs us through EVERY detail of our lives, shouldn’t we expect that He had a plan to work through those events? Big or small?  Could it be that we serve a God that desires to work through us whether it is at church or the park, the shelter or the gym, home or work, with friends or strangers?  Can we allow God to be that big in us, for us, and through us?

I believe I can.  I believe you can, too.  Because as I reflected on these last 24 hours I couldn’t help but wonder….

How many supernaturally scheduled appointments have I missed before because I wasn’t listening or rushing?

How many people needed a phone call and I was too busy to let God touch them through me?

How many times have I denied another an encouraging word because I wanted to craft a perfect and well-though speech instead of just letting the Holy Spirit have His way then just never got to it?

How many times have I gotten in the way of the divine?

What about you? 

Can you surrender your agenda and make room for God’s divine appointments.

My friend today inspired me to start reminding myself of my divine appointments each morning, I want you to try it….

Each morning, look at yourself in the mirror and say “___________ (Your name), get out the way.  God, this is YOUR show” and start looking for the ways He wants to show up throughout your day.  

You’ll be amazed to see what you’ve been missing all along.


Let’s pray a simple prayer, less talking, more listening:  Open my eyes, Lord Jesus, to Your divine appointments. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment