Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Mighty to Save

So yesterday I finally got the chance to see Iron Man 3. For those who read my blog on superheroes, you can imagine my childlike giddiness!
If you have not seen it, there is this really powerful moment that ministered to me right there in the movie theater.
In the movie there was a scene where an explosion on Air Force One, led to 13 people falling out and heading straight for the ground. Iron Man was quick to leap into action and attempted to save the people who were falling. He was going to save them one by one. One problem -- he would only be able to carry 4 people with his suit.
What would you do?
How do you pick which lives are worth saving?
Confronted with this question Iron Man immediately thinks of another solution. He saves his first person, Heather, and then lets her know she is about to participate in the rescue. He tells her to grab another man falling nearby.
Now logic would immediately dismiss this as a realistic solution. No human would be able to hold on -- she would drop him. But Iron Man lets her know that he is going to electrify her arm so that she can do it.
"We can do this." He assures her.
One by one, the people grab hold of the next person until there is a chain of people glued to one another by Iron Man's power. Finally, Iron Man lowers them to safety and they cheer.
As I watched this, it truly touched me. I could instantly relate to Heather. Before Christ, I was falling -- the only thing sure about my fate was destruction. But then Jesus came, and he saved me...
Yes, He came to my rescue, but he did much more. He whispered in my ear, "you're going to help save others."
"And Jesus came and said to them, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:18-20
How beautifully amazing is that? When Christ came to our rescue, He gave us the opportunity to take part in His divine nature.....to save others, to bless others, to give out the same grace and mercy He lovingly showed to us.
But, it's not a mission that starts when we get to safety.
It's NOW.
It's daily.
And yes.....even while we feel like we're still falling at times.
Because every life is worth saving.
Because there are people who are falling into hopelessness that need you to reach out and grab them.
TODAY.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it: reach out and grab someone.
"Love one another" (John 13:34)
"Comfort one another" (1 Thessalonians 4:18)
"Encourage one another" (2 Corinthians 13:11)
"Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other" (Ephesians 4:32)
"Be devoted to one another" (Romans 12:10)
"Build one another up" (1 Thessalonians 5:11)
So you hear that partner? We have some work to do today!
And I know you can do it, His power is working in you!
What are you going to do with it?
Will you help save?
My prayer for you:
And I pray that the sharing of your faith may become effective for the full knowledge of every good thing that is in us for the sake of Christ. - Philemon 6:1


No comments:

Post a Comment