Friday, April 4, 2014

You're Invited - Lenten Journey Day 27 Devotional - April 4, 2014






"But the time is coming--indeed it's here now--when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth. The Father is looking for those who will worship him that way." – John 4:23

I woke up this morning and immediately felt myself reaching for my phone.  What could possibly happen between midnight and 4 am that I needed to check?  Perhaps a would-be employer was an early riser and sent me an email about a job?  Maybe I missed a call or text from someone that needed me? 

Maybe… maybe….. maybe…… my mind was already off to the races.

Before I could even raise my phone up to check, I felt the cares of the day hit me as a ton of bricks.  I plopped back down on the pillow and closed my eyes.    

“Let’s try this again, Lord,” I sighed. 
Silence…. I didn’t know what to say.

I felt a whisper….. Tell Me what you need.

And to that, I had a response.  A simple song I’ve heard dozens of times dropped in my spirit.  Today it became my prayer to a melody… I began to sing softly.

I need You right away
A second later would be much too late
This situation I am facing now
Is too much to face alone
And with Your presence Lord
Hold me close just like You've done before
I can count on you I know today
Lord I need You right away
I can count on you I know today
Lord I need You right away

And with less than 70 words spoken… there He was.  Comforting me. Calming me.  Settling my soul.  Before I realized it, I’d fallen back to sleep.

When I woke up again, it was to birds chirping outside my window. 

“Good Morning, Lord,” I smiled and continued with my morning prayers.

Every morning when we wake up, our mind extends one of two invitations, to either worry or worship.
Both guests are equally faithful in attending, so the choice is up to us.  God, the gentleman that He is, will not come where He’s not invited. But who do you want to show up?  Because it is your invitation that sends energy into our surroundings for us as we enter into each new day. 

We all have days like mine today, where we send an invite to the wrong recipient.  What’s so amazing is that we have an opportunity at any time to step back and make that correction. 
How?

Prayer and worship set an atmosphere around you; one that is worthy of the King of Kings.  The Word promises us that He inhabits the praises of His people (Psalm 22:3).  That means He is guaranteed to show up when we ask.

Let's look at this a different way.  Think about a famous musician or entertainer that you admire.  When’s the last time you sent them an invitation to an event you’re having?  Probably never.  Why?  Because you probably don’t have their address and even if you did, they would most likely ignore the invitation.  Yet, we’re talking about the Lord God Almighty, who not only awaits the invitation, but takes pleasure in being around you. 

How beautiful is that?  God delights in you.  God can’t get enough of you.  God wants to be in your presence and have you in His.

You have His earall you have to do is invite Him.

So why does this make me so excited?  Because tomorrow morning I have the pleasure of being with the powerful and mighty women of my church as during our Easter Prayer Experience.  We are, in unity, going to extend a GIGANTIC invitation to the Lord of Hosts.  And you know what?  I can’t wait to see how He shows up.  He is, after all, our guest of honor.  J

What about you? 

Are you starting your day with worry or worship?

To whom are you sending your invitation?

Stay prayerful and powerful.

Let’s pray:  Dear Lord God Almighty.  I am so in awe of You; a God who sits up on high, but loves me enough to bow low and inhabit my presence.  So I thank You that as I set an atmosphere around me and “enter Your gates with thanksgiving and Your courts with Praise,” You are faithful to be ever-present and ever-loving.  Your Word promises me “You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you” (Isaiah 26:3).  Help me to wake up each morning focused and fixed on You.  May the first thoughts of my mind and the first words of my mouth be praises and thanksgiving to You, my King.  You are so worthy.  In Your precious name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment