Saturday, May 9, 2015

5 Things I Don't Tell My Mother (Often Enough) - Mother's Day 2015 - May 9, 2015



 
Her children rise up and call her blessed….” Proverbs 31:28

As I woke up this morning, a slight weight of discouragement still lingered from the events that occurred the night before.  I quietly prayed, but admittedly it lingered still.  I moved on to my workout – that sometimes helps – but still, no relief.
Then, I looked down at my phone and saw a letter from my mother in my email.  I curled up on the couch and began to read.  The heartfelt letter of encouragement couldn’t have been timed better.  Tears began to fill my eyes and fall as her words jumped off the page and hugged me. And then her love began to lift the weight until a smile crossed by face. 
God had sent in the big guns to rescue my spirit!  Discouragement didn’t stand a chance against her maternal powers.  Who needs Weapons of Mass Destruction when you have moms like mine?

Most of you who know me are aware that I’m never shy about voicing my adoration of my mother.  But on this Mother’s Day weekend I feel compelled to come out of my writing hibernation and share a few of the things about my mother that I wish I could tell her every day.

5 Things I Don't Tell My Mother (Often Enough)
5. You are my inspiration. 
Whether it was to reach for the stars, break through glass ceilings, or get on my knees and pray, your love continues to inspire me to be the best version of myself that I can be.  You’ve been the rudder on my boat since birth.  Literally, from day 1, when doctors counted me out and doubted my frailty could endure, you saw the survivor in me.  You continue to be a force that drives me forward. 

4.  I love your sense of humor.There’s probably been more tears of laughter than sadness between us.  You were my first friend.  You get my quirks and my jokes like no other. Tree trunk. Gun. Hide-N-Seek.  You know what I’m talking about. (Inside joke).  
3. Some of the most powerful moments in my life were when I watched you stumble……and get back up stronger.
Being in your home; watching you grow, and struggle, and learn was the best possible classroom I could have ever sat in.  From an early age I learned that life was a journey and that I owed it to myself to improve.  I recall when you went back to college and the moments we both sat at the kitchen table doing homework.  It wasn’t easy for you.  Yet I watched you climb…from Associates degree to Bachelors to Masters…you made it.  You have conquered many mountains in my life and that has given me the strength to overcome my own.

2. You were right…..Remember that time when ___________________?  Yes, fill in the blank with whatever situation you desire.  Over time, I have learned that in those moments when I rebelled against your advice there was so much wisdom in your guidance.  Yet, you never forced it or judged.  You just dropped a seed and let God use my circumstances to cultivate the truth.  I cherish your jewels of wisdom.
1. When people tell me, “You remind me of your mother”…I couldn’t be more proud.
You are so very beautiful.  Inside and out!  To say I’m in awe of who you are is an understatement.  You continue to be a phenomenal example and a standard of love in my life.  How could I even be compared?!  I feel so blessed to call you mother and more importantly I feel privileged to call you my friend.  And, if my footsteps come even close to the path you’ve blazed for me, I’ll consider myself immeasurably honored.

Mom, I never grow tired of reminding you.

For all that you are and continue to be in my life...THANK YOU.

Happy Mother’s Day.  I love you ALWAYS.

No comments:

Post a Comment